HMS Swiftsure (1904) BB (8th)
This HMS Swiftsure was the eighth to carry the name, the name ship
of a Class of two battleships.
She was built by Armstrong Shipbuilders, laid down in Feb-1902, launched 12-Jan-1903 and completed in Jun-1904.
Originally ordered for the Chilean Navy as the Constitucion, but purchased for the Royal Navy 03-Dec-1903 and renamed.
She served in home waters until sent to the Mediterranean
In 1914 she was used on operations in the Red Sea/Suez Canal area before joining the Dardanelles force in March 1915.
At the end of that campaign in early 1916 she returned home to go into Reserve.
Used as a gunnery target 1919.
Other HMS Swiftsure
This page last edited -
17 September, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.