HMS St. James (1946) DD (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS St James was a
Battle Class (1944), destroyer leader. As destroyer leader she had
slightly reduced armament to allow the increased complement and working
space needed to control a flotilla.
Built by Fairfield, laid down 20-May-1943, launched 07-Jun-1945, and commissioned 12-Jul-1946.
On completion joined the Home Fleet and remained there until she went into reserve 1953.
Appeared at the Coronation Review 1953.
Began a modernisation refit 1957 which was cancelled the next year and was later put on the disposal list.
Arrived at Newport 19-Mar-1961 for breaking up.
Other HMS St James
|c. w. b.|
This page last edited -
14 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.