HMS Royal Anne (1756) (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Royal Anne was a 1st
rate, 100-gun, ship-of-the-line.
Originally launched as HMS Royal Charles a 1st rate, 100-gun ship-of-the-line, three decker. She was also sometimes known as the Charles Royall.
Built at Portsmouth Dockyard, launched 1673, and of 1,443 tons builders measurement (bm). Her establishment of 100-guns was only carried in time of war in home waters. In war overseas or in peace she carried 90-guns.
She was rebuilt at Woolwich 1693, when her tonnage increased to 1,658 tons, and renamed HMS Queen.
On 09-Sep-1715 came another rename to Royal George, followed by a rebuild at Woolwich when her tonnage again increased. This time to 1,810 tons bm, when she measured 172ft long and 49ft 6in wide.
Yet another rename followed on 19-Jan-1756, this time to Royal Anne.
Broken up 1767.
Other HMS Royal Anne
- ? Class
This page last edited -
18 November, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.