HMS King George V (1940) BB (2nd)
This the second
HMS King George V was built by Vickers Armstrong, on the Tyne, laid down in Jan-1937,
launched 21-Feb-1939 and completed in
On completion joined the Home Fleet and in May-1941 became Flagship. She sailed from Scapa Flow on 22-May-1941 with the C-in-C, Admiral Tovey to join the hunt for the Bismarck. Then on 27-May in company with HMS Rodney took part in the final action which resulted in Bismarck being sunk.
Service with the Home Fleet followed including various convoy escort operations. Then to the Mediterranean to support the Sicily landings in July-1943, and the taking of Taranto in Sept-1943.
Refitted early 1944, then out to the Far East Fleet to participate in final operations against the Japanese.
On 29-July-1945 she was the last British battleship to fire her guns in wartime when she took part in the bombardment of targets south of Tokyo.
On her return to home waters she spent some time with the Home Fleet before going into Reserve.
Sold for scrapping in 1957. Arrived 20-Jan-1958 at Dalmuir, then the hull moved for final scrapping at Troon 25-May-1959.
Other HMS King George V
This page last edited -
30 May, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.