HMS Edgar (1893) CC (5th)
This the fifth ship to carry the name HMS Edgar was the name
ship of a class of seven 1st Class Protected Cruisers.
Built at Devonport Dockyard, laid down 03-Jun-1889, launched 24-Nov-1890 and completed 02-Mar-1893.
On completion went to the Mediterranean 1893-94, then on the China Station 1894-97. Served with the Transport Service 1898-1900 and then into reserve at Devonport 1901-02.
Duty as guardship Holyhead followed 1903-04, returned to Chatham 1905 then to the America & West Indies Station as Boys Training Ship 1905-06. Into reserve 1907, and used for trooping duty 1907-08.
Joined the 4th Division at Portsmouth 1909-11, then the 3rd Fleet 1912. The training squadron at Queenstown 1913-14.
WW1 saw her with the Northern patrol 1914.
Rebuilt 1915 with huge torpedo bulges for service at the Dardanelles where she served 1915-16. Duty in the Aegean followed 1917, and Gibraltar 1918.
Paid off at Queenstown 1919.
Won the Battle Honour: Dardanelles 1915-16.
This page last edited -
18 July, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.