Home

HMS Saintes (1946) DD  (1st)

    
This the only ship to carry the name HMS Saintes was a Battle Class (1944), destroyer leader. As destroyer leader she had slightly reduced armament to allow the increased complement and working space needed to control a flotilla.

Built by Hawthorn Leslie, laid down 08-Jun-1943, launched 19-Jul-1944, and commissioned 27-Sep-1946.

On completion was used as a trials ship for the 4.5" Mk 6 twin turret. and on completion in 1947 was put into reserve. To the Mediterranean 1949 and returned to the UK 1956 to begin a refit at Rosyth.

On completion of the refit in 1958 served with the Home Fleet and Mediterranean Fleet.

Paid off May-1962 and was used as an Artificer Apprentice training ship at Rosyth.

Sold 26-Jun-1972, and arrived at Cairnryan 01-Sep-1972 for breaking up.

 

- Battle Class (1944) DD
- Specifications
- Ships
- Plans/Schematics
- Pictures
- Full Battle Honours

Outside Links
- Official Website
- Associated Sites
- Related Sites

c. b.
This page last edited - 25 June, 2012.

Copyright Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.