HMS Armada (1945) DD (2nd)
This the second ship to carry the name HMS Armada was a Battle
Class (1944), destroyer leader. As destroyer leader she had
slightly reduced armament to allow the increased complement and working
space needed to control a flotilla.
Built by Hawthorn Leslie, laid down 29-Dec-1942, launched 09-Dec-1943, and commissioned 02-Jul-1945.
On completion went to the British Pacific Fleet but arrived too late to see action in WW2, joined the 19th Destroyer Flotilla. Remaining in the Far East until 1947 when she returned to the UK to be put into reserve.
To the Mediterranean 1949 with the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla, and remained mostly there until the mid 1950's when she returned to the UK to join the Home Fleet.
Decommissioned early 1960.
Sold and arrived at Inverkeithing 18-Dec-1965 for breaking up.
Other HMS Armada
This page last edited -
24 June, 2012.
Copyright © Ian M King, except where otherwise indicated.